Term: 2002 – 2004
When I assumed the presidency of the Zonta Club of Cebu II in 2002, the club had just embarked on a new project in partnership with the mother club – the Women and Children’s Protection Center-a project more focused on the Zonta mission “to advance the status of women”. I had predicted in my inaugural speech that the new project would challenge and reenergize the membership to be more active and enthusiastically involved in the project and thus make my presidency a breeze! I was not wrong! That biennium, we accomplished a lot – we implemented big and small projects, raised funds, shared our advocacies, received awards and recognition, and networked with other Zontians, both here and abroad.
Among the Club’s accomplishments in the biennium were:
- The Women and Children’s Protection Center (WCPC) – The Center, a joint project of the Zonta Clubs of Cebu I and II became operational early in the biennium. The 2 Clubs have since been supporting the Center financially and in terms of volunteer service. The Center became the site of the 9th Migi’s corner in the country, through a grant and in partnership with Mrs.Cathy S. Guballa who furnished the corner with furniture, books and video equipment for the use of child victims of abuse while awaiting medical treatment at the center.
- Donations to the Leyte mudslide victims, the Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation (ERUF), C-CIMPEL, and FORWARD
- Our advocacy efforts brought us to the forefront of issues where we took a stand:
- Through the WCPC, gender sensitivity seminars were conducted.
- A Resolution Against the Medical Malpractice Bill was sent to the Senate, Congress and the President of the Philippines.
- We carried the Zonta banner during the Anti Davide impeachment rallies.
- We stood up to be counted in the National Campaign for Peace in Mindanao and joined Mothers for Peace.
- We were appointed into the Cebu City Women’s Commission as Commissioner representing Professional Women.